Yin (the opposite of “yang” or active) yoga is a slower form of yoga, and the focus is more about lengthening and releasing connective tissues, breathing deeply to aid the release of muscles and fascia than it is about “skill” or “poise.” That said, you will get stronger and your focus will improve because the poses are held longer, so you can feel them, and truly release into them. It’s taught in the evening to prepare you for rest.
As always, breath with motion is emphasized to bring the greatest benefit. The last class of each session (email me at email@example.com for details because you may need to bring blankets and /or a bolster — just send me a note, we’ll figure it out) is always a restorative* class where all poses are supported and held for seven minutes each. The time flies in a restorative class, trust me.
Yin classes are held Monday evenings 7:45-9:15, starting January 9, 2017 at the Landings Community Centre. 6001 Cove Landing Rd., Burke VA — it is tucked just slightly off Burke Centre Parkway.
- You don’t have to be a Yoga Journal devotee to participate in this class; modifications will be offered.
- Buy a “session” (for fees click here or see below) for $12 class, or
- You may drop in to any of these public classes for $15/each
- Checks made payable to “BCC”
- Bring your own mat (and blanket if desired), I provide straps and blocks.
- I also spritz the room with lavender, vanilla, and rosemary to help you release during savasana, (final relaxation pose).
- Each session will end with a restorative practice (so 5 a year now, instead of 4!)
- I follow the FCPS calendar regarding breaks and holidays
- Inclement weather: the property is owned by a private conservancy and parking lots are tended as their resources allow. Generally, parking is not an issue, but if it is, I will advise all registered students of any changes, so providing your phone number is very important for me to apprise you of any issues.
*RESTORATIVE: In this very quiet and meditative practice all poses are supported or reclined. You will rest on bolsters, folded blankets or cushions. The focus of this practice is to go inward, meditatively; to release and let go; to stretch muscles and relax joints in different ways from traditional, motion-based yoga, and learn relaxing breathing techniques. (Please bring your own blankets and pillows.) Traditionally, each pose is held and supported for 5 minutes. I read poetry and short stories to enhance your experience.
Actual Session calendar:
Session 1 (7 classes: $84/7; $15/each to drop in):
Session 2 (7 classes: $84/7; $15/each to drop in):
Session 3 (7 classes: $84/7; $15/each to drop in):
Session 4 (7 classes: $84/7; $15/each to drop in):
July 10, 17, 24, 31
August 7, 14, 21
Session 5 (8 classes: $96/8; $15/each to drop in):
September 11, 18, 25 — no class 9/4
October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30*
Session 6 (7 classes: $84/7; $15/each to drop in):
November 6, 13, 20, 27
December 4, 11, 18*
Please go to this link to print the required forms to register for this class (one time each calendar year).