All-levels Hatha yoga:
Hatha means sun (hat) and moon (ha) and so the yoga in a traditional Hatha class is more of what you would encounter in a standard yoga class, mobile app or online video. The “sun” side is more active / warming; the “moon” side is more sedate / cooling.
We practice sun salutes and other balance, strength traditional work, including inversions (per your comfort level), in an encouraging way and positive space. You go at your own pace, fast or slow, I’m just there to lead the class, guide you or give you ideas! The last class of each session (email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for details because you will need to bring blankets and /or a bolster — just send me a note, we’ll figure it out) is always a restorative* class where all poses are supported and held for seven minutes each. The time flies in a restorative class, trust me.
- Hatha classes are Wednesday mornings, 9:30-11:00 am at the Woods Community Center, 10100 Wards Grove Circle, Burke, VA.
- While this class is all-levels, it tends to be just slightly more athletic, as I gear it for the day ahead.
- Buy a “session” (for fees click here or see below) for $12 class, or
- You may drop in to any of these public classes for $15/each
- Checks made payable to “BCC”
- Bring your own mat (and blanket if desired), I provide straps and blocks.
- I also spritz the room with lavender, vanilla, and rosemary oils to help you release during savasana (final relaxation pose)
- Each session will end with a restorative practice (so 5 a year now, instead of 4!)
- I follow the FCPS calendar regarding breaks and holidays
- Inclement weather: the property is owned by a private conservancy and parking lots are tended as their resources allow. Generally, parking is not an issue, but if it is, I will advise all registered students of any changes, so providing your phone number is very important for me to apprise you of any issues.
*RESTORATIVE: In this very quiet and meditative practice all poses are supported or reclined. You will rest on bolsters, folded blankets or cushions. The focus of this practice is to go inward, meditatively; to release and let go; to stretch muscles and relax joints in different ways from traditional, motion-based yoga, and learn relaxing breathing techniques. (Please bring your own blankets and pillows.) Traditionally, each pose is held and supported for 5 minutes.
Please go to this link to access the forms required to register for my public classes in Burke Centre.
2017 Session calendar:
Session 1: (8 classes: $12/8 = $96; or $15 to drop in):
January 4, 11, 18, 25
February 1, 8, 15, 22*
Session 2 (8 classes: $12/8 = $96; or $15 to drop in):
March 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
April 5, 19, 26* (no class 4/12 — FCPS Spring Break)
Session 3: (8 classes: $12/8 = $96; or $15 to drop in):
May 3, 10 (moved to the Landings only for 5/10), 17, 24, 30
June 7, 14, 21*
Session 4: SUMMER — (7 weeks: $84) proposed for seven weeks. The classes would require a minimum six registrants and meet on the following dates:
July 12, 19, 26
August 2, 9, 16, 23
Session 5: (8 classes: $12/7 = $96; or $15 to drop in):
September 6, 13, 20, 27
October 4, 11, 18, 25*
Session 6: (7 classes: $12/8 = $84; or $15 to drop in)
November 1, 8, 15, 29
December 6, 13, 20* — FCPS winter break begins 12/18, please consider your availability when you pay for the session.